Code of Ethics of Ukrainian Journalists
1. Freedom of speech and expression are an inseparable part of journalistic work.
2. Serving the interests of the government, NOT the public is a breach of the code.
3. A journalist has to respect people’s private life.
4. Court procedures coverage has to be impartial. A journalist cannot call a person criminal before an appropriate court verdict has been reached.
5. A journalist doesn’t uncover his (her) informational sources except in cases when the Ukrainian legislation insists on it.
6. A journalist’s first duty is to respect the public’s right to full and objective information on facts and events.
7. Information and analytical materials have to be clearly separated from advertising.
8. Editorial correction of material including pictures, texts, headlines, video and script accordance, etc. cannot distort the content of the material. cannot distort the content of the material.
9. Facts, thoughts and assumptions have to be clearly separated one from another.
10. Opponents’ points of view including those becoming an object of a journalist’s criticism have to be presented in a balanced way. Independent experts’ evaluations have to be presented the same way.
11. Sociological research may not be quoted in a way which distorts the content. Opinion polls cannot be fabricated by journalists for a pre-meditated purpose.
12. A journalist has to do everything possible to correct any published information if it is proved to be untrue.
13. A journalist may not use illegal methods for gathering information. While gathering information a journalist works under Ukrainian law and can use all legal procedures, including court procedures against those who prevent them from gathering information.
14. Plagiarism is incompatible with the journalistic profession.
15. No one can be discriminated against by reason of gender, language, race, religion or ethnic, social origin or because of political preferences. mation could be pointed out only if it is a necessary part of the story.
16. Nobody may use discipline at the workplace to make a journalist write or do something that is against his (her) own principles.
17. Illegal receiving of profit or any benefits for any journalistic material done or not done is incompatible with the journalistic profession.
18. A journalist has to be particularly careful while covering issues concerning children. A journalist and editor must have well-founded reasons to cover the private life of minors and permission from parents or guardians. It is inadmissible to publish the names of minors (or other features which could lead to recognition), connected to crime or violence.